WHEN SOMEONE SAYS- "BLACK HAIR DOESN'T GROW."

Natural Hair Movement

I was recently interviewed by a local television station. The interviewer asked me about the natural hair movement, why I went natural, what it means to be natural and others. Now to be completely honest, I was skeptical about doing this interview. Mainly because I was concerned about whether or not I would be able to accurately answer her questions and if I would be able to do justice to the natural hair community.

At the end of the interview I felt as if I did well and I didn't think much more about it. A few weeks later she contacted me to say that she was interviewing other women so as to get more than one opinion. Take a look at the full interview at the link below.
http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=552985&binId=1.1165954&playlistPageNum=1

Another black woman was interviewed, and she happens to own a hair salon. On the interview, she says it's not in the cards for ethnic women to have long hair. She goes further to state that some black women spend their entire life fussing over their hair but she tells them
 "you're gonna be at the nursing home and you're gonna have twelve hairs on your head!"
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this ignorant comment. In what universe does black hair not grow? How can someone say such a simple minded statement? It is things like these why so many women are still addicted to the "creamy crack." It is also why many persons are afraid to go natural because they are of the opinion that natural hair is some wild beast that can't be tamed without the help of damaging chemicals. It's also the reason why many women are being held down mentally by the idea that our hair is somewhat inferior to other hair types. These seeds of doubt need to be uprooted.

So it's not just persons of other races that are pulling is back, but also our own race. It's such a shame. Let us free ourselves from the mental slavery, as the words of Bob Marley state,
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind."

Popular posts from this blog

KEEPING YOUR HAIR MOISTURIZED

COLORING NATURAL HAIR- LORÉAL HICOLOR HIGHLIGHTS

HAIR POROSITY AND HOW IT AFFECTS YOUR HAIR ROUTINE.